Sunday, August 5, 2012

In Review || Oils: Coconut Oil.

Okay so you're probably like "What is there to review about Coconut Oil?" but I want to do it, so I will. This review won't be like the others that have Ingredients listed because the ingredient is... Coconut Oil! It has many purposes but is mainly used for cooking, hair and skin. This blog is about natural hair so the facts listed will be catered towards hair.

Moisture Retention:

Coconut Oil is one of the best oils for moisturizing your hair. Unlike water, it does not break down and evaporate easily and therefore keeps the moisture in the hair and leaves it soft. By doing this, Coconut Oil also helps against breakage. Of course, moisture comes from water so using coconut oil on dry hair may help soften it, but you will not be retaining maximum amounts of moisture because there was no water there to begin with. I usually incorporate coconut oil into my daily routine by spraying my Water+Aloe Vera Juice mix into my hair and then applying the coconut oil to each section to retain moisture. As with any other oil, you don't want to use too much.

Conditioning:

One of the things about using a conditioner on your hair is that your hair becomes soft and it helps return moisture and balance to you hair after the stripping effects of shampoo. Coconut oil can be used as alternative conditioner because it does just that. Unlike synthetic conditioners that sit on your hair and make it LOOK nice and soft and shiny for a new hours, coconut oil is actually able to get into your strands and give you a softness and shine that will last! If you're like me and you need to use actual products, you can just add coconut oil to your conditioner for and extra boost and some slip! In my experience, when I found out that I bought a conditioner that doesn't do much for my hair, coconut oil saved the day until I bought a new one.

Pre Poo/ Deep Conditioning:

Coconut oil can be used as a pre-shampoo treatment to protect your strands from the harsh effects of shampoo. When I pre-poo I usually use a 50/50 mixture of coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil and apply it to my hair for about an hour, or overnight before I shampoo. This way, your hair won't be too stripped after shampooing. 
You can also apply coconut oil to your deep conditioner for extra softness. Just get a plastic bowl, add your DC and 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Mix it all up, apply to your hair, and leave in for one hour or for 30 minutes with heat. 

Misc:

Coconut Oil can be applied onto the skin as a great solution for dry skin. Unlike other oils, coconut oil solidifies at 76°F/24°C or colder and liquifies above that. If you find that your coconut oil has solidified, you can run it under hot water or scoop some into a bowl and microwave. You can also just rub it in your hands since it melts easily. In my experience, coconut oil has been a great protector against chlorine. 

Where can I find it?

Coconut oil can be found at most, if not all grocery stores in the cooking section. I buy mine from Walmart or my local fresh food market. You can also buy it online, although those run slightly expensive especially when you add in shipping costs. Coconut oil should be Organic, Virgin, or Unrefined. It should be 100% coconut oil. Unlike Olive Oil however, getting Extra Virgin as opposed to just Organic is not that much of a difference. It ranges from about $5-$20 depending on where you get yours. The price may not reflect the quality.

***As with everything, coconut oil may not work for everyone. Use with your own discretion.


Keep it curly,
Dez.

No comments:

Post a Comment