Thursday, August 9, 2012

Natural Hair Tip #2 - Wrap It Up.

You've heard it ever since 8th grade. Cover up. Use protection. Play it safe. And now I'm about to tell you again. WRAP. IT. UP.

But instead of latex, you need either satin or silk. Oh yeah baby, I'm talkin about that good ol' hair scarf.

Most naturals already know that cotton and hair do not go together. You spend all night getting your hair pineappled or braiding/twisting it down for the night, so it's easier to detangle in the morning. You spray it with water, add that Olive Oil (or whatever you use, this is an example) and twist it down expecting luscious locs in the morning. And then you wake up and you're wondering whether someone beat you with a boar bristle brush in your sleep. But alas, it was just your cotton pillowcase that did the damage.
All that work was for nothing, because you'll find out that the hair did not settle into your hair, but onto your pillowcase. Cotton absorbs the oil and moisture from your hair and leaves it tangled, dry and matted. If you can, invest in a satin or silk hair scarf, bonnet or pillowcase. I have all three. I used the satin scarf but my hair is quite soft so it always slid off at night. I use the satin bonnet now, but I lose things easily and can't bother myself with finding them so I bought a satin pillowcase just in case I get lazy. The bonnet is also easier because all you do is put it on your head. You don't know how many times I've had to tie and re-tie my scarf just to get a good fit that wouldn't fall off at night.

Satin scarfs are cheap and easy to find. You can find them at your local Beauty Supply Store, Walmart or even CVS sometimes. I got my scarf, bonnet and pillowcase there. The prices range from about $3-9 depending on which it is and where you get it. Silk material tends to be more expensive.

So thats it folks. Wrap it up. And don't forget to practice safe sleep. You won't regret it in the morning ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment