Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Tress Talk: Why You Should Have Your Own Style



So today I made a trip to the salon for a wash, DC, flat iron and trim. As soon as I walked in, my stylist said "I'm not flat ironning your hair." ... What the hell?! As a part of my nature, I hate when things don't go my way so I was completely thrown off. This is only my third time coming to this salon and she's telling me she's not going what I WANT??

Anyway, she told me my hair was too dry and that the straight style wouldn't last up to 2 days. Greaaaat, especially since I was planning to have it for TWO WEEKS. Strangely enough, she told me everything I was doing to my hair, without me having to say a word. It's wet about 3 times a week, sometimes four. It doesn't get enough moisture, and I'm always keeping it in a tight puff. True, True, True!! But then, where did I get all this from? Youtube. Tumblr. Hair bloggers. I watched them religiously and tried different combinations or what I see them doing. No harm on their part, they were just showing how they work with their hair. What I was doing wrong was NOT LISTENING TO MY HAIR!! All of that washing and even co washing was drying out my hair and the fact that I wasn't applying enough product to my hair added to that. The moisture got in, but quickly evaporated out because there was barely any product there to lock it in.

This is a something every b/vlogger says: What works for me, may not work for you. I even say it in my own posts. This applies not only to products, but also to the way we care for our hair. It's good to take ideas from others who have the same hair type as we do but it's even better to listen to what your hair needs. That hair butter that your favorite YouTube Blogger uses may work for your hair at all. You might need some silicone in your conditioner, you might not.

If you're anything like me and love trying out new products or just need to see what works for your hair without breaking the bank and buying a ton of stuff, try ordering a CurlBox or CurlKit. Both companies send you a few samples of hair products, different every month for you to try out. It's $20/month for each company and it's a monthly subscription. To this day, I'm still using the shea whip, sulfate-free shampoo and Protein DC that I got from my July Curlkit, although I'm using them sparingly so they can last.

Healthy hair journey's, especially in the beginning, are mostly trial and error. Something might work for your mom, sister, AND auntie but may not work for you. Once you find your balance, everything becomes easier.

Peace & Love,

Dez.

No comments:

Post a Comment